The objective of the Water Desalination Grant Program is to provide grant funds to eligible applicants to facilitate, where appropriate, the development of brackish water and seawater desalination projects to meet the water resources needs of the state. The focus of the Program is on the development of potable water for municipal uses.
One or two Construction or Design Pilot Projects will be awarded grants to desalinate naturally-occurring brackish (>1,000 mg/L TDS) or saline water to directly support local or regional potable municipal water resources and directly or indirectly provide water supply benefits to the State. A total of $600,000 of Proposition 50 funds are available.
In addition to other benefits, proposed projects will be evaluated on the following:
• Increased potable water supply to increase public health and the quality of municipal water supply systems (CWC §79767(c))
• Increased water supply reliability (CWC §79767(a))
• Improved water desalination technology, process efficiencies, and methodologies (CWC §79767(e) & §12947(c))
• Advanced methods that minimize adverse impacts to the environment associated with desalination processes and new water supplies which decrease reliance on diversions from the Delta or instream flows (CWC §79767(b) & §12946)
• Contribute to decreasing environmental impacts caused by greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions which includes energy efficiencies (i.e., water-energy nexus) (CWC §79767(b) & §12946).
Projects must have a completed feasibility study showing evaluated alternatives, appropriate CEQA documentation to support the project, and be ready to be implemented within 6 months of project award.
- Public Agency
- Tribal Government
Also eligible: Investor-Owned Utilities Mutual Water Companies
Matching Funding Requirement:
The Applicant is responsible for providing a Funding Match from non-state grant sources of at least fifty percent of the total Funded Project cost in the form of cash or donated services. This Funding Match may be suspended or reduced for a project that is serving a qualified disadvantaged community or economically distressed area.
How to Apply
State agencies/departments recommend you read the full grant guidelines before applying.
Similar to This Grant
Disadvantaged Communities Air Resources Board 4 weeks ago More Details about Capture and Control System for Oil Tankers At Berth Project
Agriculture Department of Pesticide Regulation 4 weeks ago More Details about Department of Pesticide Regulation Research Grants Program
Environment & Water Coastal Conservancy 1 month ago More Details about Proposition 68, Tijuana River Border Pollution Control