Vertebrate Pest Control Research Program
Research proposals are currently being accepted by the California Department of Food and Agriculture’s (CDFA) Vertebrate Pest Control Program (VPCP) within the Integrated Pest Control Branch. Proposals may focus on research and/or education projects to enhance control measures of vertebrate pests that pose a significant threat to the welfare of state’s agricultural economy, infrastructure, environment, and the public.
The Vertebrate Pest Control Research Program is authorized to approve a total of $200,000 worth of research in to vertebrate pest control methods per year. Proposals will be reviewed by scientific and administrative staff who will conduct an initial review of all submitted proposals for completeness. Proposals will be considered for funding twice annually during the Vertebrate Pest Control Research Advisory Committee (VPCRAC) Meetings. The VPCRAC deliberates and discusses the submitted proposals for their scientific, technical and operational merit, and decides in a yes/no vote whether to recommend the proposal for funding.
Per FAC 6025
The secretary shall establish and administer a research program to control vertebrate pests that pose a significant threat to the welfare of the state’s agricultural economy, infrastructure, and the public.
(b) The specific purposes of the program include all of the following:
(1) The investigation of effective and economical alternative materials for the control of vertebrate pests, including carbon monoxide to control burrowing rodent pests.
(2) The solicitation and consideration of research proposals for alternative humane methods of control.
(3) The continuation of current vertebrate pest control product registration at the state level until alternative products are developed that prove to be effective and economical.
(4) The funding of research for the development of scientific data to fulfill registration requirements.
(5) Cooperation with the United States Department of Agriculture in funding research programs to maintain, develop, and register vertebrate pest control materials used in this state.
- Public Agency
- Tribal Government
CDFA does not support proprietary product development projects.
Proposals that originate from outside of California are considered if the proposal includes relevance to vertebrate pest concerns within California.
Matching Funding Requirement:
Proposals that include other sources of funding are strongly encouraged and welcomed.
How to Apply
State agencies/departments recommend you read the full grant guidelines before applying.
Similar to This Grant
Agriculture Governor's Office of Planning and Research
Integrated Climate Adaptation and Resiliency Program's Climate Adaptation Planning Grant3 months ago More Details about Integrated Climate Adaptation and Resiliency Program's Climate Adaptation Planning Grant
Agriculture Board of State and Community Corrections
Proposition 64 Public Health and Safety Grant Program5 months ago More Details about Proposition 64 Public Health and Safety Grant Program
Agriculture Department of Conservation
2022 California Farmland Conservancy Program6 months ago More Details about 2022 California Farmland Conservancy Program
Agriculture CA Department of Food and Agriculture
2023 Noxious Weed Grant Program6 months ago More Details about 2023 Noxious Weed Grant Program