"READY – OR NOT” Cultural Heritage Disaster Preparedness
The California State Library seeks a partner to work with local archives, historical societies, libraries, museums and tribal nations to help those entities create written disaster preparedness plans to protect their collections and ensure future public access. The goal is to connect communities holding at-risk collections with the resources needed to protect those collections from destruction and make them available to all Californians.
The California State Library seeks a partner organization to work with local archives, historical societies, libraries, museums and, when possible, tribal nations to help those entities create written disaster preparedness plans to protect their collections and ensure future public access.
The program’s goal is to connect communities holding at-risk collections with the resources needed to protect those collections from destruction and make them available to all Californians.
The State Library’s partner organization shall be responsible for:
· Hiring and deploying a team of six or more roving Collection Protectors and Heritage Consultants with experience in disaster planning and preparedness to assess local heritage collections, gauge potential risk and identify ways to mitigate risk.
· Assisting local cultural heritage entities in creating disaster preparedness plans based on those assessments and ensuring local disaster response agencies are apprised of those plans.
· Making recommendations to the State Library on grant awards to local cultural heritage entities that help ensure the workability and effectiveness of their disaster preparedness plans.
· Completing approximately 300 disaster preparedness plans each year over the life of the program so that all local heritage organizations without plans have one in place.
Applicants are encouraged to review the results of the recent California Cultural Collections Protection Survey, which was taken by more than 450 cultural heritage institutions across California. The survey gathered information about the state of California’s cultural heritage collections and the extent to which institutions prioritize, plan for and resource collection protection.
Applicants should have proven experience with:
· Conducting preservation needs assessments
· Conducting digital preservation assessments
· Conducting collection and item level assessments
· Grant administration
· Working with tribal nations, museums, archives, libraries, historical societies & government entities
· Hiring and training preservation consultants
· Creating and designing disaster preparedness plans
How to Apply
State agencies/departments recommend you read the full grant guidelines before applying.
Similar to This Grant
Education CA State Library
2023-24 Sustainable California Libraries2 months ago More Details about 2023-24 Sustainable California Libraries
Libraries and Arts CA State Library
Zip Books 2023-20242 months ago More Details about Zip Books 2023-2024
Disadvantaged Communities CA State Library
Building Forward Library Improvements Grant Program: Round Two2 months ago More Details about Building Forward Library Improvements Grant Program: Round Two