The California State Library’s competitive LSTA grant opportunities help California’s libraries respond effectively to local needs and align services with local community aspirations; support experimentation and research and development in California’s libraries; and provide training and support in grant writing and grant management for the California library community.
We invite libraries to apply for funding to support local and collaborative projects that address community needs, align with community aspirations, and are from agencies that support equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are especially interested in:
• projects that focus on underserved and vulnerable populations, sustainability, and workforce development;• applications from library jurisdictions and branches of library jurisdictions that have not received LSTA funding in the last five years;• collaborative projects that represent a variety of regions, library sizes, and populations.
However, we welcome applications from all California library jurisdictions and library consortia, and on any topic and serving any group.
• Agencies applying for a local competitive grant and requesting $75,000 or above, and agencies applying for a collaborative competitive grant must plan to work with a project partner (in additional to the collaborative applicant group) and must have at least one project partner in place before a full application is submitted.
Types of Grant OpportunityTwo types of grant opportunity are available:
• Local Competitive Grants support projects that focus on one library jurisdiction and can include projects focusing on one branch in one library jurisdiction.• Collaborative Competitive Grants support projects that are implemented by three or more library jurisdictions.
Information about this opportunity can be found at https://www.library.ca.gov/grants/library-services-technology-act/
Application process has two phases: Intent to Apply and the Full Application
October 12: Intent to Apply Form opens.November 20: Intent to Apply Form closes.December 18: State Library staff notify applicants of decisions and make available full application materials.February 24: Application Form closes.April 9: State Library staff notify applicants of decisions.*July 2021-June 2022: Libraries implement their activities.Grantees meet to share strategies, resources, ideas, successes and lessons learned.Fall (2022): LSTA Coordinator surveys grantees for feedback on the grant process.Project Advisors conduct informational debriefs with grantees to discuss successes and lessons learned to share.
* Projects will be selected in the spring; however, awards cannot be made until federal IMLS funding levels are confirmed for 2021-2022 and the 2021-2022 California State budget has passed.
• Award Amounts: Awards range from a minimum of $10,000 to a maximum of $100,000.
- Public Agency
The local competitive grant opportunity is open to California libraries. Libraries applying for a local competitive grant may also apply for a collaborative competitive grant. The collaborative competitive grant opportunity is open to California libraries, library consortia, and library-focused non-profit organizations.
Grant is limited to California.
Matching Funding Requirement:
Applicants are expected to contribute a local match to the grant funds in the form of a cash match and/or in-kind contributions. A match is expected, but no minimum amount is required.
How to Apply
State agencies/departments recommend you read the full grant guidelines before applying.
Similar to This Grant
Disadvantaged Communities Department of Transportation
Sustainable Communities Competitive3 weeks ago
Agriculture Board of State and Community Corrections
Proposition 64 Public Health and Safety Grant Program3 months ago
Disadvantaged Communities Board of State and Community Corrections
Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program4 months ago
Disadvantaged Communities Department of Social Services
FY2022-24 Removal Defense Funding4 months ago