Program Summary: The overall goal of the program is to support intercity travel needs of residents in non-urbanized areas by providing transit connection from rural areas to larger urban areas. Each state is required spend 15 percent of its annual Section 5311 apportionment to support the program (FTA 9040.1G, Ch.8) on FTA 5311(f).
To be eligible for the program, participants must meet three national objectives and state emphasis. The service must:
· FTA Objective 1: Support rural transit connection with regional and national intercity bus service systems Network
§ State Objective: Must provide a meaningful connection to the Network at the intercity bus station terminal.
· FTA Objective 2: Support intercity travel needs of residents in rural areas
§ State Objective: Must be able to provide connectivity to other modes of transportation at the transit gateway and support other broader transportation needs of rural residents (such as medical facility, shopping center etc.)
· FTA Objective 3: Support the infrastructure of the Intercity bus network through planning and marketing and capital investment in facilities.
§ State Objective: Provide outreach marketing about the program to enhance service coordination, ridership, service quality and efficiency. Fill gaps in service that supports the network with planning and feasibility studies to include new service and routes.
· Intercity service providers crossing State lines must be in compliance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations.
· Service providers must publish their schedule to the public as specified e.g. Russell’s Motor Guide.
· Must provide information on regional coordination of project plans.
· Must complete annual NTD reporting requirements.
· Service must be available to the general public and operate on a fixed route of more than 50 miles. The service must make limited stops-no more than three stops. Must connect two or more urban areas more than 15 miles apart. The service must provide meaningful connection and reasonable lay-over times. The bus service must have baggage capacity.
Program Funds: Program funds are made available to rural areas with a population of less than 50,000 as designated by the Bureau of the Census.
Eligible Applicants: Public transit providers, Private transportation providers, non-profit organizations and tribal governments.
Eligible Projects: Eligible projects include capital projects, planning and operating assistance projects. Capital projects are funded at 88.53% and Operating Assistance are funded at 55.33%. Currently the Intercity Bus Program offers Operating Assistance capped at $300,000 per project.
Funding Amount and Distribution Process: Annually, we receive approximately $32 million in federal funds for the program. Of this amount, 75% is set aside for 5311 regional distribution. Of the remaining 25%, 15% is set-aside for Intercity Bus Section 5311(f) and 10% for program administration.
Project Selection Process: The intercity bus project selection is based on annual competitive application process. Project selection is based on merit and ready to go projects. Selected projects are funded with the 15% discretionary set aside.
- Public Agency
- Tribal Government
Rural populated areas to urban hubs.
Matching Funding Requirement:
55.33% Federal Share
46.7% local match
How to Apply
State agencies/departments recommend you read the full grant guidelines before applying.
Similar to This Grant
Environment & Water Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery 4 months ago More Details about Tire-Derived Aggregate (TDA) Grant Program
Disadvantaged Communities Wildlife Conservation Board 5 months ago More Details about Wildlife Corridor and Fish Passage
Transportation Department of Transportation 5 months ago More Details about Local Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)