Using Circular Economy Funds, this competitive grant program will provide funding to support new and expanded edible food recovery and food waste prevention projects (food recovered for people or source reduction) in California. Projects must reduce the amount of food being disposed in landfills, thereby helping to achieve the state’s short-lived climate pollutant goals.
Food Recovery Projects: Projects that result in food that would otherwise be destined for landfills, being recovered and distributed to people. Any food waste residuals from the food recovered must be composted, sent to a digester, used as animal feed, or otherwise diverted within the project service area, if available.
Food Waste Prevention Projects: Projects that prevent food waste from being generated and becoming waste that is normally destined for landfills. Food waste prevention projects are only eligible if the proposed grant project includes an edible food recovery project. Examples of food waste prevention projects include:
- Modernizing production and handling practices to prevent and reduce food preparation waste.
- Identifying and modifying ordering practices that result in measurable decreases in food waste.
- Creating and expanding education and outreach programs that result in quantifiable reductions in food waste.
- Public Agency
- Tribal Government
- Local governments (cities, counties, or cities and counties)
- Nonprofit organizations (except private schools)
- State agencies (including offices, departments, bureaus, and boards)
- University of California, California State University, or the California Community College campuses
- Solid Waste Facilities
- Public School Districts
- Qualifying Tribal Entities
How to Apply
State agencies/departments recommend you read the full grant guidelines before applying.
Similar to This Grant
Agriculture Employment Development Department 2 months ago More Details about Campesino de California Outreach Grant – Complaint System Awareness and Referral Program
Agriculture Department of Pesticide Regulation 3 months ago More Details about 2023 Department of Pesticide Regulation Research Grants Program
Agriculture Department of Pesticide Regulation 3 months ago More Details about Department of Pesticide Regulation 2023 Alliance Grants Program
Agriculture Department of Forestry and Fire Protection 3 months ago More Details about California Forest Improvement Program