The Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery offers the Beverage Container Recycling Grant Program pursuant to Section 14581(a)(4) of the Public Resources Code. The purpose of the grant is to issue up to $1,500,000 annually in the form of grants for beverage container recycling and litter reduction programs to promote increased recycling of beverage containers throughout California and reduce beverage container litter in the waste stream.
CalRecycle is seeking projects that implement new programs or enhance existing programs to provide convenient beverage container recycling opportunities in various locations statewide. Eligible projects include:
• Multi-family residential dwellings (five units or more).
• Public colleges/universities, non-profit colleges/universities, and public K-12 school districts.
• Curbside Residential Program locations (excluding single stream).
• Community events including, but not limited to, those sponsored by local jurisdictions.
• Parks/recreational areas.
• Purchase of water refill stations, including the installation, education and outreach, or replacement of infrastructure, plumbing, maintenance, additional attachments or modifications.
• Litter reduction and cleanup along the United States-Mexico border where the waste stream includes beverage containers that will be recycled.
o Out of State beverage containers collected as part of the litter abatement and cleanup projects cannot be funded under this grant program.
Ongoing collection programs may include the following activities as a component of the grant project:
• Temporary Community events (i.e., recycling or collection events sponsored by local jurisdictions, Earth Day events).
• Drop-off, Collection Program, or Community Service Program.
• Education and Outreach related to beverage container recycling.
Note: Education activities and/or materials (signage, flyers, curriculum, etc.) related to the beverage container recycling project are capped at 25 percent of the total grant award.
• Funding must have a direct connection to the California Redemption Value (CRV) of beverage containers and the overall program. If non-CRV items are included in the grant, they are subject to proportional cost. For example: a three-bin system with composting, paper and CRV recycling, can only be funded at one third of the cost. A mixed recycling bin will be funded proportionately based on the CRV content of materials collected.
Priority funding will be given to Tribal Entities and applicants with litter abatement projects along the United States-Mexico border. Applicants who meet the criteria will be given priority and will be considered for funding first.
- Public Agency
- Tribal Government
• California cities, counties, state agencies, and other local governmental entities.
• Special districts (e.g., recreational park districts).
• Public colleges and universities, and public K-12 school districts.
• Non-profit organizations (except private schools K-12) registered with the federal government under 501(c)3, (c),6, or (c)10 of the Internal Revenue Code.
• Qualifying Tribal Entities.
• Joint Powers Authorities (JPA).
California cities, counties, state agencies, and other local governmental entities.
Matching Funding Requirement:
How to Apply
State agencies/departments recommend you read the full grant guidelines before applying.
Similar to This Grant
Disadvantaged Communities Victim Compensation Board
2022 CalVCB Regional Trauma Recovery Center (TRC) Pilot Program Special Notice of Funds Available (NOFA)2 weeks ago More Details about 2022 CalVCB Regional Trauma Recovery Center (TRC) Pilot Program Special Notice of Funds Available (NOFA)
Disadvantaged Communities Department of Health Care Access and Information 4 weeks ago More Details about Allied Healthcare Loan Repayment Program
Disadvantaged Communities Department of Health Care Access and Information 4 weeks ago More Details about Licensed Vocational Nurse Loan Repayment Program
Disadvantaged Communities Department of Health Care Access and Information 4 weeks ago More Details about Bachelor of Science Nursing Loan Repayment Program